Like so many of us, Grant and Lynne Wyness use their camper for more than camping – many a builders van became a camper… but it works the other way round too! So whether it’s sand at the beach or the building site… this month Grant shows us a great recipe to keep up the calories!
Makes one round of toast – double for two etc…
- Small unsliced loaf with crust all round
- One large egg
- Splash of milk
- Ham slices (thin)
5. Cheese thinly sliced or grated (strong cheese is best)
- Salt and Pepper
- Frying oil
- Slice an inch thickness (minimum) slab of bread neatly.
- Carefully slide a sharp knife into the bottom crust of the bread working it until you have made an even and generous pocket inside. Take your time; you don’t want to burst through.
- With a bit of dexterity place the ham and cheese inside so it sits evenly – press flat.
- Beat the egg, milk and salt n’ pepper together in a container that the bread can sit flat in.
- Lay the bread slice in the mixture and wait a bit for it to soak in – do the same for all the sides and edges.
- 6. Heat a centimetre of oil up in a pan – drop a dollop of egg mixture in to check the temp – it should sizzle not go instantly brown. Smoking oil is too hot.
- Lay the bread in and let it go golden – turn to do the same on all surfaces – don’t let the oil go cold…soggy toast!
Serve with a good sprinkling Worcestershire sauce
Try other ingredients like mustard, jam, Philadelphia cheese, chorizo slices, bacon (cooked), baked beans, chutneys, pickles, and pestos. Not altogether though (and remember to use cooked and cured meats).
See what combos you can come up with. I bet you can manage one or two of your own… enjoy!